Saturday, May 7, 2011

Easter and a new pet

I am going to try to catch up with the blog, so I figured I may as well start with the most recent. We had a somewhat laid back Easter, including an egg hunt at a park (forgot my camera) and a few dyed eggs and Easter baskets. My mom was in town for Easter. We had my sister Jill's family and my mom over for a delicious Easter dinner.


Apparantly the eggs are kind of depressing....
Ian is at that awkward stage where he can't smile like a normal person for pictures.

Hailey has candy in her mouth.


The twins wouldn't even look at the camera, they knew they had to shove as much candy in their mouths as possible before mommy took the candy away.


For Easter, we decided it was finally time to get a pet. The only pet this family can handle is a fish, of course. The kids got the bowl and we got it all ready and went to pick out a fish. Ian picked out "Darkos", a goldfish with a little black on the tips of its fins. Ian loved him, and would tell him stories and "spend time with him." I've never seen a boy love a fish so much.
Sadly, Darkos only lasted for 4 days. I went and bought a "Darkos 2" while Ian was at school, but then I remembered that a friend had offered her fish tank a few months ago. I sent her a message and she still had it and wanted to get it off her hands. I told her we would take it, and later that day we went to pick it up. What I wasn't expecting, however, was this:


Three gigantic goldfish that were 3 years old! The biggest one was about 7 inches long. At first I thought the kids would be fascinated by them, and they were, but the fish were obviously way too big for a 5 gallon tank. So I posted them on Craigslist. I got 6 calls in 2 and a half hours and a guy came and picked them up that night. Problem solved! I cleaned out the tank and we put Darkos 2 and two new goldfish in. One of the new ones died, but we still have 2 going strong now. Oh the joys of pet ownership, haha.



2 comments:

Monica said...

Those were really large fish! Its great that the kids are enjoying their new pets.

Koreena said...

Wow, the kids have gotten so big! I think Ian looks a ton like Adam.